How many times have you sent an email, or typed a document, but only later do you spot the grammatical errors?
Is good grammar still important in business? Maybe I’m showing my age, but I think so!
The good news is that free AI-powered assistance is available to help correct and improve your grammar (not grammer!).
It’s called Grammarly, and it’s helping me right now as I improve this article that has been written, in the first instance, by ChatGTP (v.4), of course!
Grammarly is an AI-powered writing assistant that helps people improve their written communication by identifying and correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style errors. It also provides suggestions for enhancing clarity, conciseness, and tone. Grammarly is available as a browser extension, desktop app, and mobile keyboard, and can be integrated with various platforms like Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and email services.
The advantage of installing it for your desktop (e.g. Windows or Mac) is that – mostly – it runs ‘everywhere’ thereafter. On occasions this can be slightly intrusive/irritating, but once you get past that – it’s great!
Pros of using Grammarly:
- Improved writing quality: Grammarly helps users avoid common grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes, leading to more polished and professional writing.
- Clarity and conciseness: It provides suggestions to rephrase sentences, remove redundancy, and improve overall clarity.
- Customization: Grammarly allows users to set goals based on the audience, style, emotion, and domain, tailoring its suggestions to the specific context.
- Plagiarism detection: The premium version includes a plagiarism checker that compares your text to billions of web pages, ensuring original content.
- Real-time feedback: Grammarly provides instant feedback as you type, helping you learn from your mistakes and improve your writing skills over time.
Cons of using Grammarly:
- AI limitations: Although advanced, Grammarly’s AI may occasionally provide incorrect suggestions or miss some errors, necessitating manual review.
- Limited free version: The free version of Grammarly only offers basic grammar and spelling checks, requiring users to upgrade to the premium version for more advanced features.
- Privacy concerns: Since Grammarly processes your text on its servers, some users might have concerns about the privacy and security of their data.
- Compatibility issues: Although Grammarly is compatible with many platforms, it may not work seamlessly with all software or devices, potentially causing formatting issues or integration difficulties.
- Cost: The premium version of Grammarly can be expensive for some users, particularly if they require its advanced features for personal use.
In summary, Grammarly is a useful tool for improving the quality of your written communication, but users should be aware of its limitations and potential privacy concerns. Regularly reviewing and editing your work is still essential to ensure the best results.
Check out Grammarly here: https://www.grammarly.com/